Friday, August 21, 2009

Pasta masala, Indian style

Tried and tasted by Nivedita
Hi All,
Sometimes, we forget many important tasks to do!!! It shows the poor memory, which I feel I always suffer from. And some times, it is just out of mind. You might be thinking, what I am trying to say about!!! Yes, today when I was checking my blog after one month, I realised that after I posted "Breakfast in Photo"(http://niveditaskitchen.blogspot.com/2009/07/breakfast-in-photo.html#links) for Divya's event, I totally forgot to post the recipes for the same.
I am very sorry and in future, I will make it sure, not to repeat the mistake!
My next three postings will be the recipe for the photos.

Now coming to this one, till I was in India, I never heard of Pasta or Macaroni or even Italian food. As I am from small town, and 12 years back, it was not grown up city, we were restricted to local foods and to the maximum, we used to get North Indian food in hotels. And my mom never liked going out to have food, as she always tried most of the foods at home only. So 12 years back, when I went to UAE(Abu Dhabi), first time I saw the pasta packets. I used to wonder, how they can eat these, as they looked like worms to me. (So ignorant I was!!!! ) (Even though I used to eat noodles, and I had seen the pasta recipe photos in the magazines, but when I saw it physically, these looked different,).
Then one day I bought a packet, and thought of trying it. But as I did not know the Italian way, I thought of trying it Indian way, as how we prepare poha!!! And came out this recipe. As the time went, I started trying in different ways to make pasta and I loved it every time. But as this was my first try, I want to share the same recipe here.
And when I checked for pasta recipes in many blogs(After the blogging is born), I came to know that many, prepare it this way only!! I was little disappointed, as I used to think it is my invention!!! How funny!!!
Coming to the recipe,
Pasta - 100 gms(Take any shape, but smaller the size, easy to cook !!)
Onion - 1 big chopped
Tomato - 1 big chopped or
ready tomato paste - 1/4 cup (Available in supermarket)
curry leaves - few
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Jeera - 1 tsp
Ginger - 1 inch, chopped
Red chilly powder - 2 tbsp
Green chilly - 1 chopped
Haldi - 1/2 tsp
Curry powder - 1 tsp
Dhania Powder - 1 tsp
Oil - 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Lime juice - 1 tsp
Sugar - 1 tsp
Fresh coriander to garnish
Boil the pasta as per given instructions on the packet. Always add 1 tsp oil when boiling. Drain it and pour cold water. Keep it aside.
Add oil in thick bottomed kadai. When hot, add mustard seeds, jeera, curry leaves and ginger. Saute for a while. Now add green chilly and onion. Let it cook till transparent. Then goes tomato, and all other dry powders except salt. Let it cook till the raw smell of tomato goes. It takes at least 5 minutes. Keep on stirring. Now add salt and boiled pasta. Sprinkle lime juice and add sugar. Mix it properly. Garnish with fresh coriander. Close with the lid and cook for few minutes.
Pasta masala is ready to serve for breakfast or anytime!!!

Wait for my next post for Mix veg poha!

Keep smiling,



15 comments:

Parita said...

i forget things all the time :) I too often indianize my pasta, looks yummy!

Deepthi Shankar said...

I love the Indian version of pasta .. Its alive & spicy

lubnakarim06 said...

It happens dear.....love that Indian style pasta...looks yummylicious....

Lakshmi said...

ahahaha..we never fail to Indianise all food stuff we love to eat :) even I have my version of Indiansed pasta, chinese fried rice etc etc

Sushma Mallya said...

Love pasta ....Indian style pastas are always my fav and special :)

Unknown said...

thanks for the great yummy taste in indian way

Poops said...

i think i can try......

thamizharasi said...

it was very useful as i didnt know how to cook .thankyou so much!

Anonymous said...

it was a treat to my family.

catering Fort Lauderdale said...

Pasta dishes are always great offerings in any catering events. This Indian style pasta is surely one of those that have a unique but very rich flavoring. A lot of pasta lovers will surely be thrilled to try this out.

Shama Nagarajan said...

Hai dear,if you wish u can link this yummy recipe here for Pasta event -http://easy2cookrecipes.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/fast-food-event-pasta-for-month-of.html

Unknown said...

nice recipe, love it.

Unknown said...

nice i love ! :)

Anonymous said...

Buvi---it tastes very yummy thanx nivedita mam

Akanksha said...

Hi Nivedita, let me know if I can publish this recipe in my emagazine DNS, DNS is promoting food bloggers from India by publishing recipes from Indian blogs based on a monthly theme giving full credit to the author/blog.
if you are ok then mail me your short bio and pasta/spaghetti recipe to ver.neha@hotmail.com

See at www.dinenshare.com

Search This Blog

Lijit Ad Wijit

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog