Saturday, June 12, 2010

Capsicum Masala(ಡೊಣ್ಣ ಮೆಣಸಿನ ಕಾಯಿ ಪಲ್ಯೆ )

Tried and tasted by Nivedita
Hi All,
I have a starting problem!!! I take more than half an hour before I start typing here. Once I start, it goes without break. I know I am not a very good writer and my vocabulary ends only with kitchen or cooking words!! Still I take a lot of time to finish writing one post!! 
Here is one more recipe from North Karnataka. Capsicum or bell peppers or chili pepper call it by any name. It is an universal vegetable and is used in many preparations all over the world. I like the colors of bell peppers, green, yellow, red, purple.. and the shapes : long, short, fat, thin, tiny, big....The big one are not very tasty like the small varieties.
But I like the variety we get in our places. We call these as "Donna Menasinakai" These capsicum are very small in size and have wonderful curved surface. And very very spicy. If you are used to eat spicy food then you will enjoy it. 
The recipe I am giving is an usual way prepared in North Karnataka. It is easy and fast to make. 
Small capsicum - 8 to 10, wash and cut into small or medium cubes.
Oil - 1 tbsp to fry the capsicum 
Onion - 1 big, washed, peeled and cubed
Tamarind paste - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Jaggery - 2 tsp
Turmeric - pinch
Oil - 1 tsp
Jeera or cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - few
Gurellu (Niger seeds) powder - 1 tsp(recipe here), No problem if you do not have. Use dry coconut powder. The taste will definitely differ but that also tastes good.
Fresh Coriander - 1 tbsp, chopped
Water - 1/2 cup
Fry the capsicum cubes in a oil till they change the color. Be careful to keep the kids far as the smell is very strong. It makes you cough.
Add oil in a kadai. When hot, add jeera, curry leaves and onion. Fry till the onion turns brown. Now add salt, jaggery, tamarind paste, gurellu powder and Turmeric powder. Mix well and add the fried capsicum cubes.  Mix well again. Add water. Cover and cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Adjust the seasoning. Garnish with Fresh coriander.
It goes well with Jowar rotti or chapati. 
Again reminding, it is very spicy to eat.

Keep Smiling,

4 comments:

Kiran said...

Dear Nivedita,
Capsicum masala looks very delicious.Love the bright colors of the capsicum.As soon I saw the picture of these capsicums I felt how much I missed them.Here in USA we get big capsicums ,different varieties but yo know they have color but they lack taste.I used to love the little capsicums that we get in India and the curries made with them.

Rach said...

Looks so delicious :) Sakathagidhe nododhike :)

Indian Cuisine Blogroll said...

looks delicious..new recipe to me..never tried capsicum with jaggery...

Vishku said...

Hi Nivedita
Its been days sibnce I visited here...I was looking for hubli style donna menasinakay recipe Thanks dear will try out...

Search This Blog

Lijit Ad Wijit

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog