Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Milk Pedha and Choco Pedha


Tried and tasted by Nivedita
Hi All,
Dharwad (my home town) which is in Karnataka, is famous for Pedhas. Dharwad Thakhur pedhas are world famous and no pedha can beat the taste. I have been brought up with pedhas. And I always loved Thakhur pedhas. I will try to give the link about that pedha, as the recipe for that pedha is a secret and is not revealed any where.(if any of you know the recipe, please let me know!)
When I was a kid, I loved pedhas a lot. My grandfather always used to bring a piece of pedha for me. I used to keep it for a long time in my hand and I used to eat it the way one eats ice cream. I was scared that it will finish soon!
Now coming to my recipe over here, I love these white pedhas or doodh pedhas. I would have never dared to make these pedhas at home till I really wanted to try something new(for me) for Jagruti's event. I browsed many blogs and sites to get the recipe. And I was surprised to know that the recipe is so simple. So I thought of trying two pedhas at a time(no patience to wait for next day)
When I browsed for pedha, I got many links. I was searching for quick recipe, and came through THIS one. I was happy with the procedure and when I scrolled down to check the recipe, even this was inspired by Usha of Veg Inspirations and even she followed some other blog with little variation!! 
Now I am  here with my recipe  with not much modification :
First is for Milk Pedha :( I used cup for measurement)


Sweetened condensed Milk - 1 cup
Milk powder - 3/4 cup
Cardamom powder - 1 tsp
Ghee - 1 tbsp

Add the sweetened condensed milk and the milk powder in a deep and big M/W safe dish. Mix well. Add cardamom powder and mix well.
Keep the dish in microwave on HIGH for a minute. 
Remove, mix well and repeat the step till done. 
The mix will be a soft dough.
Add ghee and mix well.
Remove in a plate. Allow it to cool for some time.
Moist your hand with milk to make pedhas.
You can store it in a fridge for a week. 

I could prepare around 15 pedhas out of this.
THANKS EVERYONE, WHO HAS SHARED THIS RECIPE IN THEIR BLOGS. I followed Usha's recipe.

Recipe for Chocolate Pedhas :

I got the recipe from HERE. This is also a quick but tasty pedhas.
My daughter loved this chocolate pedhas so much that she kept all for her self.
I followed the exact recipe.


Sweetened condensed milk - 1 1/2 cup
Curd/ thick yogurt - half cup
Milk - half cup
Coco powder - half cup
Ghee - 2 to 3 tablespoons
Warm the milk in microwave in Microwave safe dish.
Mix the yogurt and coco powder and whisk it till no lumps.
Add this coco milk to the condensed milk and mix well.










Microwave on HIGH for 3 minutes. Open and mix well. Repeat the step till you get the thick paste like above in the photo. Add the ghee and mix well. Microwave on HIGH for 30 seconds.
Keep it for 15 to 20 minutes.
Make pedhas of desired shapes. 
Sending these pedhas to two events :


Jagruti (of Joy of Cooking) 


19 comments:

Unknown said...

wow, wow, wow, cannot wait for your roundup already :)

I am going to try each and every peda of yours :)

Nivedita Thadani said...

Hi Priya,
thats quick response. Thanks.
You have to wait for Jagruti to come out with the round up.

Lakshmi ...Rasoi ki Malkin..northern and southern spices said...

Ahhh - -delicious milk pedas and choco pedas,lovely clicks

Fajeeda said...

pedas r my fav..........i too make similar way.........

Akila said...

your pedha's looks awesome...... love it dear.........

Ms.Chitchat said...

Perfect mouth watering pedas.Loved it

Ms.Chitchat said...

Perfect mouth watering pedas.Loved it

Guna's kitchen said...

Wow!!!!! mouthwatering milk pedha's luks delicious ..choco pedha very intresting.. never thought.. good work..

Satya said...

wow the pedha loos soooo cute n tempting ...nice click dear

Satya
http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

kitchen queen said...

lovely sweet and cute pedas.

Nitha said...

Any time fav...

Hayley said...

Hey Nive
I am drooling here..whenever I see pedha or the recipe my mouth starts watering..lol..you made peda perfect and recipe is so easy to follow...

thank you for the entry....

Sangi said...

Love your pedas.. Especially the choco pedas.. ;)

Kiran said...

Milk and choco pedhas look very delicious.

Pavithra Elangovan said...

I love pedas, seeing this truly drooling. Its already night here and i am so much tempted to eat some milk sweet right away or atleas milk with sugar ...:(

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

awesome and mouthwatering

Sandhya Hariharan said...

they look delicious...
i m sure the kids must have finished most of it by now

Hari Chandana P said...

very delicious.. looks simply amazing nivedita.. soo tempting :)

Sanjeeta kk said...

Thats lovely Nivedita! Makes the festive fervor come live.

Search This Blog

Lijit Ad Wijit

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog